Tacoma Public Library
Tacoma Public Library
Web site   Library catalog
Library Databases Calendar
View My Account Library Catalog
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Northwest Postcard database: Category Search     (new Postcard search     About this database)

Category 'Libraries' contains 34 postcard(s)
NWRPC-81
Front caption: Carnegie Library, Tacoma, Washington (Court House Tower Beyond)
Date: c. 1906
Publisher: Edward H. Mitchell, San Francisco
Notes: No. 698
Description: Tacoma's Carnegie Library, built in 1903, now home to the Northwest Room and Special Collections.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Pierce County Courthouse (Tacoma);
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-471
Date: c. 1908
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.; 1012 SO. G ST.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-472
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.; 1012 SO. G. ST.; 1114 SO. ALTHEIMER ST.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-474
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.; 1012 SO. G ST.; 715 SO. 11TH ST.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-475
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-476
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-477
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-722
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 827 TACOMA AVE NO.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-777
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1902 SO. CEDAR ST.
Category: Libraries

STENGER-784
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 3722 NO. 26th ST.
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-179
Front caption: The Tacoma Public Library
Back caption: Tacoma Public LibraryTacoma Public Library's 87,708 square foot Main Library at 1102 Tacoma Avenue South encompasses the city's original Carnegie Library, built in 1903 through a grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, and its 1952 addition. Funding for the 1990 renovation and expansion was provided through passage of a $15.8 million Library Construction Bond approved by Tacoma voters in 1984. The $5.1 million project was designed by the Tsang Partnership, with construction by Mar-Jon Contractors, Inc. Photo inset: The restored glass skylight of the Carnegie Library.
Date: c. 1990
Printer: Printing courtesy of the Tsang Partnership, Tacoma, Washington
Notes: Photography by The Portrait Gallery, 1990.
Description: Large postcard commemorating the renovation and expansion of the Main Library.
Subjects: Public libraries--Tacoma; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Historic buildings--Tacoma; Stained glass--Tacoma;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-181
Front caption: The Tacoma Public Library
Back caption: Tacoma Public Library The McCormick Branch Library, 3722 North 26th Street, brings a wealth of library services and materials to residents of Tacoma's North and West End neighborhoods. The 11,975 square foot addition to the 61 year old Tudor-style library was designed by McGranahan Messenger Associates, Architects, and built by Mar-Jan Contractors, Inc. Funding for the $2.2 million library was provided through passage of a $15.8 million Library Construction Bond approved by Tacoma citizens in 1984.
Date: c. 1988
Notes: Photography by The Portrait Gallery, 1988
Description: Exterior of what is now called the Anna Lemon Wheelock branch of the Tacoma Public Library.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Construction--Tacoma; Remodeling--Tacoma;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 3722 NO. 26th ST.
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-182
Front caption: The Tacoma Public Library
Back caption: The $1.05 million comprehensive renovation and addition to the George O. Swasey Branch Library, 7001 Sixth Avenue, was designed by Elaine Day LaTourelle and Associates, Architects, and built by Sunset Pacific General Contractors, Inc. Originally built in 1960 and named to honor Tacoma Attorney George Swasey, whose generous bequest made the library a reality, the Swasey Branch Library brings a wealth of library services and programs to Tacoma's growing west end neighborhood. Funding for the renovation was provided through passage of a $15.8 million Library Construction Bond approved by Tacoma citizens in 1984.
Date: c. 1989
Notes: Photography by The Portrait Gallery, 1989
Description: View of the Swasey Branch library, one of ten libraries located within the city.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Remodeling--Tacoma; Construction--Tacoma;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 7001 SIXTH AVE.
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-183
Front caption: The Tacoma Public Library
Back caption: Tacoma Public Library Designed by Architects Reed Reinvald, the 14,487 square foot Grace R. Moore Branch Library at 215 South 56th Street provides an abundance of library materials and services to the residents of Tacoma's south end neighborhoods. The $2.2 million regional library, named in honor of one of the founders of public library service in Tacoma, was built by Pease Construction, Inc. on the site of the original Moore Branch Library. Funding was provided through passage of a $15.8 million Library Construction Bond approved by Tacoma citizens in 1984.
Date: c. 1989
Notes: Photography by The Portrait Gallery, 1989
Description: Exterior view of the Moore library, the large regional branch in the south end of town.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma, Construction--Tacoma; Remodeling--Tacoma;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 215 SO. 56th ST.
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-184
Front caption: The Tacoma Public Library
Back caption: Tacoma Public Library The $1.05 million renovation and addition to the South Tacoma Branch Library, 3411 South 56th Street, was designed by Seifort and Forbes, Architects and built by C E & C, Inc. Originally constructed in 1959 on the site of an original Carnegie-funded library, the South Tacoma Branch brings a wealth of library services and materials to Tacoma's south end neighborhoods. Funding for the renovation was provided through passage of a $15.8 million Library Construction Bond approved by Tacoma citizens in 1984.
Date: c. 1989
Notes: Photography by The Portrait Gallery, 1989
Description: Originally conceived as an alternative to the area's many saloons, this first branch library grew from the Women's Christian Temperance Union's South Tacoma Reading Room that was opened in 1905. The building that housed the first South Tacoma Branch was dedicated in 1911, and the current building opened in 1959.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Remodeling--Tacoma; Construction--Tacoma;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 3411 SO. 56th ST.
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-23
Front caption: Seattle Public Library.
Date: c. 1906
Publisher: W.G. MacFarlane, Publisher, and Importer
Printer: Printed in Germany.
Notes: I. 1183
Description: View of the Andrew Carnegie funded Seattle Public Library Building, located on 4th Avenue. The Seattle Public Library dates back to 1869, when a lending library was established by Sarah Yesler. The library moved from place to place until a fire destroyed the entire collection- then located in the Yesler Mansion- in 1901. Steel magnate and library philanthropist Andrew Carnegie immediately came to the rescue by providing funds for a new, permanent structure. The sandstone, Beaux Arts style building pictured here opened in 1906, and served the public until its destruction in 1957. It has since been replaced by two more modern structures- the first in 1960, and the current building in 2004.
Subjects: Historic buildings--Seattle; Libraries--Seattle; Public libraries--Seattle;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-42
Front caption: Tacoma Public Library Tacoma, Wash.
Date: c. 1906
Publisher: P. A. Kaufer
Description: Exterior and interior photographs of Tacoma's original Carnegie library building, funded by steel magnate and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The building, completed in 1903, now houses the Tacoma Public Library's Northwest Room history collection, and is annexed to the more modern main branch of the Tacoma Public Library.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Pierce County Courthouse (Tacoma);
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-214
Front caption: Lincoln City Library Lincoln, Nebraska
Date: c. 1920
Publisher: Merchants Pub. Co., Lincoln, Neb.
Description: This is the Old Main Library in Lincoln, Nebraska. It opened in 1902 and was demolished in the 1960's. It was built as a Carnegie Library.
Subjects: Libraries--Nebraska; Philanthropy; Historic buildings;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-215
Front caption: Public Library, New York City
Back caption: New York Public Library The magnificent building at the library of New York is located at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street. It was built in 1911 at a cost of $9,000,000 and contains spacious reading rooms, exhibition rooms and art galleries. Its book collections are priceless.
Date: c. 1930
Publisher: Manhattan Post Card Co., Inc.
Printer: "Colourpicture" Publication, Boston 15, Mass. U.S.A.
Notes: 7, 14801
Description: This landmark building, a white marble Beaux-Arts revival, designed by John Merven Carrère and Thomas Hastings, was completed in 1911 after 12 years of construction. At the time, it was the largest marble structure in the United States. A large restoration project of the exterior, in honor of the 100 year anniversary in 2011, is currently underway. The library is now formally known as the Humanities and Social Sciences Library.
Subjects: Libraries--New York; Historic buildings; Architectural elements; Architectural decorations & ornaments; Stone buildings;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-222
Front caption: Historical Society Library, Lincoln, Neb.
Date: c. 1910
Description: One time location of the Historical Society Library in Lincoln, Nebraska. Message on this card likely promotes prohibition.
Subjects: Historic buildings; Libraries--Nebraska; Horses; Automobiles--1910-1920;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-244
Front caption: Public Library-Petaluma, Cal.
Date: c. 1908
Notes: Photo By Towne
Description: The Petaluma Free Public Library was established in 1878. The Classical Revival building, designed by Brainerd Jones, was built in 1906 for $20,000. $12,500 was granted by Andrew Carnegie and the balance was donated by the Petaluma community. The building remained a library until 1976 when it was renovated and converted into a museum of Petaluma history.
Subjects: Libraries--California; Historic buildings; Architectural decorations & ornaments;
Category: Libraries

STENGER-1382
Date: c. 1912
Category: Libraries

STENGER-1445
Category: Libraries

SIRLES-28
Back caption: Crosby Library, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington. This showplace of the Pacific Northwest was a gift of alumnus Bing Crosby. Over 175,000 volumes are available for research and study and many rare art collections are on exhibit throughout the year. A special tourist attraction is the Crosbyana Room, which houses Bing's musical and cinema awards.
Date: c. 1960
Publisher: Pub. by Smith Western, 1533 Broadway, Tacoma, Wash.
Notes: S-49803, Color by Rev. Leo J. Yeats, S.J.
Description: Entertainer Bing Crosby attended Gonzaga, and raised money for the library pictured here, which was dedicated to the Crosby family on November 3, 1957. After the library was moved to the Foley Center in 1992, this building was turned into the Crosby Student Center, and it still houses the Crosbyana Room and its memorabilia--including gold records, trophies, photographs, scrapbooks and an Oscar.
Subjects: Crosby, Bing; Libraries--Washington; Memorabilia; Alumni & alumnae--Washington;
Category: Libraries

NWRPC-243
Front caption: The Richards Studio Photography Collection Tacoma history in black & white A presentation by Robert Schuler, Photography Archivist, Tacoma Public Library Sponsored by the Friends of the Tacoma Public Library www.tacomapubliclibrary.org (253) 591-5666
Back caption: Tacoma Public Library 1102 Tacoma Avenue South Tacoma, WA 98402 www.tacomapubliclibrary.org The Richards Studio Collection Tacoma history in black & white Robert Schuler, Photography Archivist at Tacoma Public Library provides an in-depth look at the library's vast (over 800,000 images) Richards Studio Photography Collection. Founded by Paul Richards, the Richards Studio was the predominate commercial photographic studio in Tacoma for over 35 years. The community's weddings, funerals, parades, business growth and school activities were forever preserved in black and white by the Studio's photographers. Richards was the official studio for the Douglas Fir Plywood Association, the Cheney Lumber Company, and the Tacoma Athletic Commission and took many of the photgraphs that appeared daily in the Tacoma Times newspaper. The collection's images paint a compelling portrait of an American community through decades of change and growth. Saturday, February 12 @ 2:00 p.m. Olympic Room, Main Library, Sponsored by the Friends of the Tacoma Public Library For information: (253) 591-5666/www.tacomapubliclibrary.org
Date: c. 2005
Distributor: Tacoma Public Library
Description: Postcard advertising a presentation of Richard's Studio photographs by the Northwest Room's Photography Archivist Bob Schuler. The popular Image Archive database managed by Schuler is comprised of about 90 percent Richards photos.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Publicity; Photography industry--Tacoma;
Category: Libraries

MAGDEN-52
Front caption: Souvenir Tacoma, Wn. Carnegie Library. Court House.
Back caption: Post Card
Date: c. 1903
Description: This leather postcard was given out at the opening of the Carnegie Library on June 5, 1903. Shown are the library in the foreground, with the old courthouse rising behind it. Leather postcards were banned for postal use in 1909.
Subjects: Publicity; Promotional materials; Salutations--Tacoma; Libraries--Tacoma; Souvenirs;
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.; 1012 SO. G ST.
Category: Libraries

SIRLES-167
Date: c. 1910
Category: Libraries

STENGER-2041
Date: c. 1944
Category: Libraries

KLASSY-10
Front caption: Tacoma, Wash. Public Library, Court House in the distance.
Date: c. 1911
Publisher: Paul C. Koeber Co., New York City & Kirchheim.
Printer: Printed in Germany.
Notes: 5145.
Description: The Carnegie Library, built in 1903 is now home to the Special Collections department of the Tacoma Public Library. The Pierce County Courthouse is visible in the upper right corner, and the old Central School can be seen to the left.
Subjects: Libraries--Tacoma; Tacoma Public Library (Tacoma); Pierce County Courthouse (Tacoma); Central School (Tacoma);
Address (Links to Buildings Index): 1102 TACOMA AVE. SO.
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-277
Front caption: Congressional Library, Washington, D.C.
Date: c. 1915
Publisher: Illustrated Postal Card Co. New York-Germany
Notes: 177.-4
Description: Shown here is the west side and entrance of the Jefferson Building. The Library of Congress was established in 1800 --the legislation was targeted to acquire "such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress - and for putting up a suitable apartment for containing them therein." After the original library was destroyed by invading British troops in 1814, Thomas Jefferson offered his extensive personal collection for the new library.
Subjects: Libraries; Night photographs; Historic buildings;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-278
Front caption: Columbia University Library, New York
Date: c. 1910
Publisher: Imprint-Souvenir Post Card Co. New-York and Berlin.
Notes: 9343
Description: Built in 1895 by the architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White, the Low Memorial Library is the administrative center of Columbia University.
Subjects: Libraries; Stone buildings; Stairways; Architectural elements;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-291
Front caption: Pittsburg, Pa., Carnegie Library in Schenley Park
Date: c. 1908
Publisher: The Hugh C. Leyton Co., Manufacturers, Portland, ME., U.S.A.
Printer: Printed in Frankfort, ? Germany.
Notes: 1327
Description: Established in 1895 by a one million dollar endowment from Andrew Carnegie.
Subjects: Historic buildings; Philanthropists; Architectural decorations & ornaments;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-298
Front caption: Public Library, Seattle, Washington.
Date: c. 1910
Publisher: Published by E.P. Charlton Co. Seattle, Wash.
Printer: Printed in the United States
Notes: 828
Description: Located at 1000 Fourth Aveune, Seattle, this Carnegie funded building opened in December, 1906. The original building was demolished in 1957, and its replacement opened in 1960. The second building was demolished in fall, 2001 to make way for the new 362,987-square-foot Central Library that opened May 23, 2004 on the same site.
Subjects: Historic buildings; Philanthropists; Business districts;
Category: Libraries

FLEMING-272
Front caption: New York, The Library--New York University.
Back caption: The Library--New York University. The General Library (at University Heights) contains 56,000 volumes, catalogued according to the Dewey decimal system, and includes the Oswald Ottendorfer Library of Germanic Literature, the La Garde Library of Semitic Languages, and the Huebner Classical Library.
Date: c. 1905
Publisher: Raphael Tuck & Sons, Art Publishers to their Majesties the King & Queen
Printer: Printed in Holland.
Notes: No. 6413. "New York"
Subjects: Libraries--New York; Historic buildings--New York; Stone buildings;
Category: Libraries

Horizantal Line
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.591.5666xxx
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.292.2001
Contact Us Site Map Privacy Policy Copyright Policy