Northwest Postcard database: keyword search "Parks--Canada--Vancouver, B. C" (new Postcard search About this database)
2 records match your search
2 records displayed
Front caption: Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C.
Date: c. 1917
Distributor: European Import Co., Chromo-Serie No. 34
Printer: Made in Germany.
Description: In 1886, Vancouver B.C.'s first City Council dedicated the 1,000 acre peninsula for park and recreation purposes. On September 27, 1887 Stanley Park was officially opened, establishing the fledgling city's first official "greenspace". The park was named for Lord Stanley, Governor General of Canada.
Subjects: Parks--Canada--Vancouver, B. C.; Trees; Waterways;
Front caption: Stanley Park, Vancouver
Date: c. 1908
Publisher: J. Howard A. Chapman, Victoria, B. C.
Description: View from dock looking towards an ivy-covered building at Stanley Park. Captain George Vancouver first explored the peninsula area where this park is located in 1792. At the time, it was largely inhabited by the Squamish people. In the 1860's, the area was used as a military reserve before being designated as a park in 1886 by the Dominion of Canada. The park was named after Lord Stanley, Governor General of Canada. Today the park covers over 1,000 acres, and is the third largest city-owned park in North America.
Subjects: Parks--Canada--Vancouver, B. C.; Historic buildings--Canada;
Category: Other Cities and Towns