|Center the Description... - Center the Image...|
|19 of 164 - Center the Image... | Order a copy of this image|
Collection: General Photograph Collection
Description: The #66 streetcar, full of passengers, was hitched up to two "nags" and driven up Pacific Avenue on June 9, 1938 at noon to plug the huge "Last Ride" celebration planned for June 11th. Tacoma's last streetcar had been taken out of service in April of 1938; the cars replaced with city buses. The June celebration, hosted by the Young Men's Business Club, marked the passing of Tacoma's street cars. Twenty five cars were auctioned off by the Tacoma Railway & Power Co. to civic organizations to decorate for the big street car parade. The parade was followed by a Gay 90's dance at the Hotel Winthrop. The last car to leave the rails at midnight, #66, was burned at a public bonfire at the Bay Street yards. During the parade and as a promotion, #66 was rigged as a horse car and driven by Tacoma Mayor John Siegle. TPL-5833 (T. Times 6/1/1938, pg. 5-article; 6/8/38, pg. 2-article)
Subjects: Mass transit--Tacoma--1930-1940; Cable railroads--Tacoma; Street railroads--Tacoma--1930-1940; Horses--Tacoma--1930-1940;
Image type: Black & White
Print type: Fiber base-Glossy
Print format: 8x10"
Rights: See Tacoma Public Library for specific rights and permissions.