|Center the Description... - Center the Image...|
|13 of 53 - Center the Image... | Order a copy of this image|
Collection: Richards Studio Collection
Date: ca. 1900
Description: An undated photograph of the Steilacoom streetcar #62 at the end of the line. From the dress of the passengers and the fact that the car is electric, the time period is believed to be circa 1900. A board sidewalk leads across a ditch or ravine. The building in the background holds a flyer for E.L. Hiberly & Co.; the insurance and real estate company opened for business in Tacoma in 1900. The Tacoma and Steilacoom Railway Company started in 1890. The company progressed from steam driven cars to horse drawn and then to electric. It was the world’s first interurban streetcar system and at that time the longest electric line in the world. It ran 12 miles, from downtown Tacoma to Steilacoom, by running through present-day University Place and down Chambers Creek. TPL-9789 (www.historylink.org)
Subjects: Street railroads--Tacoma--1900-1910; Tacoma & Steilacoom Railway Co. (Tacoma); Mass transit--Tacoma--1900-1910;
Rights: See Tacoma Public Library for specific rights and permissions.