Tacoma Public Library
Tacoma Public Library
Web site   Library catalog
Library Databases Calendar
View My Account Library Catalog
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Image Archives
New Search | Search Request = [workers] | Edit this search
More pages of thumbnail results 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... next>
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 3253 hits
New Search | Search Request = [workers] | Edit this search
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 3253 hits
D24780-2
Date: 12-03-19461 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D24780   Image#: 2   Date: 12-03-1946
Garden tractors roll off the assembly line at Marine Iron Works, Inc. The tractors have been trademarked "Mighty Man" and designed especially for small farms. Now in their second week of production, Marine Iron Works is turning out 10 units a day, but they expect to hit 56 per day. When Tacoma's Marine Iron Works sought a peace-time production to fill its 20,000 square foot plant at the end of World War II, they found a market for 3 h.p. tractors. "Mighty Man" was designed by B.A. Winter and can be converted from a 2-wheel walk-behind tiller to a 4-wheel riding tractor in less than 10 minutes. Marine Iron Works is headed by M.A. Petrich. The employee at the far left has been identified as Harold William Cullen. He worked on the "Mighty Man" tractors in 1946 after working for the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard from 1943-46. (T.Times, 11/6/1946, p.7) TPL-9135 (Additional identification provided by a reader)
G38.1-008
Date: 06-00-19352 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G38.1   Image#: 008   Date: 06-00-1935
Mill workers, accompanied by Washington National Guardsmen, stand at the side of the road preparing to cross the Eleventh Street Bridge into the Tideflats to report to work. A second group of men appears to be standing just ahead, possibly strikers gathering to heckle the workers. In June of 1935, workers attempting to return to work at the reopening mills were subjected to extreme violence and threats. Governor Clarence Martin ordered the second battalion of the Washington National Guard 161st Infantry to Tacoma on June 23, 1935 to protect the returning workers and the mills. The guardsmen were armed with smoke, tear and nausea gas bombs, rifles, bayonets and ammunition. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)
D91035-1
Date: c. 19553 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D91035   Image#: 1   Date: c. 1955
North Star Glove Co. Inc. Female workers perform piece work, showing some of the different stages in the manufacture of gloves. The second worker from the left works with an entire sheet of leather. The worker to her right lays out the molds that shape the pieces to be cut. The last worker to the right operates the cutting machinery. A stack of glove pieces lies to her left. The 1955 city directory lists the officers of this family owned business as Albert Wekell, president, Charles Wekell, vice president, and Hannah Wekell as secretary-treasurer. Albert Wekell, a Swedish immigrant, founded the company in 1915 with two sewing machines. Tom Johnson, who later operated Bone Dry Shoe Co., was his first partner. His brother Charles joined the company in 1920, buying out Johnson, and together they supervised the operation for over 50 years and became one of the top manufacturers of heavy and specialty work gloves in the US. (TNT 9/5/1955, pg. C-5) TPL-9146
D651-2
Date: 02-26-19364 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D651   Image#: 2   Date: 02-26-1936
The WPA (Works Progress Administration), a federal work relief program enacted in 1935, put millions of unemployed on the federal payroll with public work jobs. In Tacoma in 1936, streets such as South Tyler were extended and work conducted at Point Defiance Park. This February, 1936, picture shows a number of laborers hard at work shoveling dirt from a hillside at Point Defiance into wheelbarrows. To employ as many men as possible, much of the work was done by hand instead of machine.
D651-1
Date: 02-26-19365 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D651   Image#: 1   Date: 02-26-1936
WPA men working on project in Point Defiance Park. About 20 workers shoveling dirt on the side of a hill. The Works Progress Administration (WPA), a relief measure established by executive order of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1935, put millions back to work during the Depression years. Public projects included highway and street construction, bridge repair and construction, construction of public buildings and improving and building of parks. These men are hard at work in late February of 1936 at Tacoma's Point Defiance, which encompassed an area of around 700 acres. As seen by the shovels and wheelbarrows, nearly all of the work was done by hand. (T.Times).
D31164-1
Date: 12-29-19476 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D31164   Image#: 1   Date: 12-29-1947
United Steel Workers union was formed with the help of the United Mine Workers. The Mine Workers felt the Steel Workers needed guidance and helped them organize a committee. View of Permanente Metals employees washing their hands after a hard day at work, photo ordered by United Steel Workers of America.
D31164-2
Date: 12-29-19477 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D31164   Image#: 2   Date: 12-29-1947
In June 1936 the Steel Workers Organizing Committee was formed, Phillip Murray, Vice-President of the United Mine Workers was appointed Chairman of the new committee. By the end of 1936 125,000 steel workers had joined the union. View of Permanente Metals employee working in plant, photo ordered by United Steel Workers of America.
D11993-1
Date: 10-03-19418 of 3253:
More detail
Series: D11993   Image#: 1   Date: 10-03-1941
By October of 1941, the Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) Shipbuilding Corporation on Tacoma's Tideflats employed 3,000 workers, most of whom drove back and forth to work. The workers' cars filled a large lot at the end of Alexander Avenue, just north of the Hooker Chemical plant (which is in the background). When the workday was over, there was only one way back into the city, down Alexander Avenue, onto East 11th Street and across the 11th street (now Murray Morgan) Bridge, creating a massive traffic jam. The shipyard was planning to add 5,000 more workers in the next few months and the city was working on a traffic flow solution. (T. Times, 10/07/1941] SSPA - 03-OCT-2011
TNT (C)-031A
Date: 06-01-19759 of 3253:
More detail
Series: TNT (C)   Image#: 031A   Date: 06-01-1975
Denver "Doc" Campbell - Hands of a skilled "whittler" at work. When not working in his small shop, Carbonado resident "Doc" Campbell could usually be found with a pocket knife in his hand, blade cutting or scraping across grain creating curling shavings. He just liked working with wood. A carpenter by trade, the former Gulf Coast resident and his wife journeyed to Washington after "cannibal ants" (Texas biting ants) chased them away. They settled first in Enumclaw and then Carbonado. Mr. Campbell stated that when he got to Enumclaw in 1963 he had $8 in his pocket and his tool box. By 1975 he owned two small houses and a shop he created out of a garage in Carbonado. He repaired and refurbished furniture in the small shop. "Doc" Campbell, 73 at the time of this June 1, 1975 News Tribune article, was a man of many talents. The soft-spoken man received his nickname because he had treated many sick animals in the past and neighbors said that he knew more about treating animals than some professional veterinarians. He modestly would not admit to that. Mr. Campbell had formerly worked in the coal mines of West Virginia before assuming the occupation of carpenter. He enjoyed working with wood more than coal mining and had made many new parts for broken furniture while also finding discarded parts from furniture thrown away in dumps. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell had a total of six children between them, 37 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren and "still counting." (TNT 6-1-1975)
TNT (C)-031B
Date: 06-01-197510 of 3253:
More detail
Series: TNT (C)   Image#: 031B   Date: 06-01-1975
Denver "Doc" Campbell - Carbonado carpenter and "whittler." 73-year-old "Doc" Campbell greeted visitors to his shop in June of 1975 in the small one-time mining town of Carbonado. Nicknamed "Doc" for his work with sick animals, Mr. Campbell also liked to work with wood. He and his wife had come to Washington to escape Texas biting ants some 12 years before equipped with only $8 and Mr. Campbell's tool box. Since then, the Campbells purchased two small houses and a garage that he transformed into a shop. "Doc" Campbell repaired and refurbished furniture there. When not working in the shop, he could usually be found with a pocket knife in his hand and wood shavings over and near his bib overalls. Mr. Campbell had worked in the West Virginia coal mines but preferred carpentry. At the time of this News Tribune interview, the soft-spoken, genial man was recuperating from undulant fever that he got from goat's milk. He was regaining his strength, working outdoors in his gardens and taking care of his dogs. (TNT 6-1-1975)
TNT (C)-004B
Date: 04-06-196011 of 3253:
More detail
Series: TNT (C)   Image#: 004B   Date: 04-06-1960
Myron Calkins - Tacoma City Engineer. Mr. Calkins started working for the City of Tacoma in 1948 and was the City Engineer from 1955-1964. He was second in command in the Public Works Department and also held a seat on the City Planning Commission. In April of 1960 Mr. Calkins was elected vice chairman of the Pacific Northwest Council of the American Society of Civil Engineers and elected president of the Washington State Chapter of the American Public Works Association the following month. He was elected national president of the American Public Works Association in November of 1970. By that time he was the Director of Public Works in Kansas City, Missouri, a post he had accepted in 1964 after serving as Tacoma City Engineer for ten years. (TNT -various articles)
TNT (B)-058
Date: 08-18-196812 of 3253:
More detail
Series: TNT (B)   Image#: 058   Date: 08-18-1968
Jonas R. Bjelland - Tideflats mechanic came a long way. Mr. Bjelland began working as an apprentice sheetmetal worker in 1918 at the Todd Shipyard in Tacoma where he built ships for WWl. He retired 50 years later as the secretary-treasurer of the National Blower & Sheet Metal Co. in Tacoma. Mr. Bjelland has played a part in many installations of blower systems for industry throughout the Pacific Northwest. After the Great War was over and shipyard work dimmed, he transferred to general and industrial sheet metal work with National Blower. He rose to a journeyman status after beginning as a learner. He learned to read blueprints and became part of the crew that fabricated the largest wood-chip and sawdust collection system on the Pacific Coast at the building of the original Long-Bell Lumber Co. plant in Longview. Mr. Bjelland was the foreman when one of the first all-aluminum ventilation systems in the Northwest was installed in the 1930s at the DuPont Powder Works. He was promoted from foreman to general superintendent during WWll and became secretary-treasurer of the company in 1955. Mr. and Mrs. Bjelland live on the shores of Lake Steilacoom. (TNT 8-18-1968)
TPL-4134
Date: 09-06-191513 of 3253:
More detail
Series: TPL   Image#: 4134   Date: 09-06-1915
Brewery Workers Union No. 328 gathered en masse on Pacific Avenue, north of City Hall, on September 6, 1915 to proudly march in the big Labor Day parade. This was the last hurrah for brewery workers before Prohibition began in Washington State in January of 1916. Tacoma had basically shut down with city, county, major businesses and industrial plants closed for the day. Union workers of all sorts - blacksmiths, machinists, boilermakers, cooks, bridge workers, pressmen, painters, carpenters and longshoremen, to name just a few, would be participating in the march that led from Pacific Ave., Broadway and Sixth Ave. to conclude at Wright Park. Thousands of spectators were anticipated. (TDL 9-6-1915)
G73.1-029
Date: ca. 191814 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G73.1   Image#: 029   Date: ca. 1918
Puget Mill Co. New England style "Saltbox" houses for company employees in Port Gamble, circa. 1918. Company officials insisted on a hierarchy in housing; managers had the best homes on the highest ground, skilled workers and their families came next, immigrant workers (Scandinavian, German, Swiss, Slovaks and Greeks) arriving in the 1880's were housed on the other side of the second growth forest west and south of the town in areas known as "New England" and "Murphy's Row," unmarried men lived in bunk houses and cabins on the spit near the mill and Chinese workers lived separately out of town, as did native Americans workers. The worker housing was surrounded by picket fences and had fireplaces, electric lights, bathrooms and a water closet. Rent for a three bedroom was about $7.00 a month. (Historylink.org) Boland #21
G66.2-049
Date: 07-00-191715 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G66.2   Image#: 049   Date: 07-00-1917
In early July 1917, the Tacoma Rail & Power Company (TR&P) fired seven employees that they accused of union organizing. Within days the Amalgamated Association of Street & Electric Railway Employees of America signed up the remaining workers; and when the company refused to re-hire the fired workers, the newly organized workers shut down the TR&P streetcars. Although there were some acts of sabotage, as shown in this photograph, the strike was generally peaceful - and supported by most Tacomans. Although the company hired replacement workers, they could not break the strike. On August 2 an agreement was reached between the company and the union. The fired employees were reinstated, the strikebreakers were deported, grievance procedures were established, and the questions of wages and working conditions were submitted to arbitration. (Tacoma Tribune 7/16/1917-8/2/1917, pg. 1) TPL-9555
G38.1-012
Date: 06-00-193516 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G38.1   Image#: 012   Date: 06-00-1935
Chief of Police Harold Bird poses with an officer of the Washington National Guard, deployed to Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin to restore the peace during the 1935 lumber workers' strike. In June of 1935, as some workers prepared to return to the reopened mills, their efforts were met with violence. Returning workers were threatened, beaten, their homes and vehicles bombed and vandalized. Local authorities were unable to stop the violence. The Guard was called in to protect the workers and the mills. The strikers and sympathizers were joined in their protests by those who resented the armed troops in their midst. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)
G38.1-011
Date: 06-00-193517 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G38.1   Image#: 011   Date: 06-00-1935
Members of the Washington National Guard are loaded up in trucks and preparing to return to downtown Tacoma from the industrial Tideflats across the Eleventh Street Bridge. The second battalion of the Guards' 161st Infantry was mobilized to Tacoma by Governor Clarence Martin when workers attempting to return to work during the Lumber workers' strike met with violence. Their job was to protect the workers and the mills. They were stationed at the Armory and patrolled the Tideflats and all bridges and roads into the area. The Eleventh Street bridge has roadblocks on all but one lane, so that vehicles could be searched. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)
G38.1-004
Date: 06-00-193518 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G38.1   Image#: 004   Date: 06-00-1935
Soldiers from the 161st Infantry of the Washington National Guard patrol the Tideflats during the Lumber worker's strike of 1935. In June of 1935, the mills of Tacoma and surrounding areas were attempting to reopen after petitions circulated stating that over 60 % of the work force was willing to return. Governor Clarence Martin promised protection to the mills and workers and called in the Guard to patrol the Tideflats and guard the entrances into the industrial area. They also accompanied returning workers on the main thoroughfares into the area. The troops totalled over 500 by June 25th and came from Yakima, Prosser, Pullman and Walla Walla. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)
G38.1-003
Date: 06-00-193519 of 3253:
More detail
Series: G38.1   Image#: 003   Date: 06-00-1935
Mess tents pitched on the old Central School playgrounds across from the Armory as cooks prepare to feed the men of the second battalion of the Washington National Guard 161st Infantry called out to control the violence associated with the 1935 Lumber workers' strike. In June of 1935, the mills in Tacoma and surrounded areas attempted to reopen with workers willing to return to work. Violence erupted between the returning workers and the strikers. Governor Clarence Martin ordered the Guard in on June 23rd, 1935 after reports that local authorities were unable to handle the situation. It was the second time the Guard was ordered out since the World War, the other two times being in 1919 and 1933. (TNT 6/24/1935, pg. 1 & 2)
EW-751
Date: 07-26-194320 of 3253:
More detail
Series: EW   Image#: 751   Date: 07-26-1943
As a shipyard worker during World War II, superior attendance at work was part of your patriotic duty. As the "Sea-Tac Keel's" Civilian War Creed stated "Wasting precious working hours is sinful in war time." Rigger Outfitting Foreman Art Bagley, pictured, had only lost 1 1/2 days in the 3 and one half years he had worked at the Seattle-Tacoma shipyard. Preferring to be in the great outdoors, before coming to Sea-Tac Mr. Bagley had worked as a logger, longshoreman and pile driver. (Sea-Tac Keel, Vol. II, No. III, pg. 8; August 7, 1943 issue)
New Search | Search Request = [workers] | Edit this search
More pages of thumbnail results 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... next>
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 3253 hits
New Search | Search Request = [workers] | Edit this search
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 3253 hits
Horizantal Line
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.591.5666xxx
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.292.2001
Contact Us Site Map Privacy Policy Copyright Policy