|1 of 25:|
Series: D58736 Image#: 1 Date: 06-19-1951
Street scene, Stadium Way to City Hall, as pictured on June 19, 1951. A few cars motor down the otherwise uncrowded street. Ornamental street lamps visible on left side of roadway. Ordered by Electrical Products, Larry Moore.
|2 of 25:|
Series: D48857 Image#: 1 Date: 03-27-1950
The corner of Pacific Ave. and 9th St., downtown Tacoma, featuring the Provident Building, 917 Pacific Ave. Storefronts indicate the presence of, left to right, the Northwest Airlines ticket office, the Lincolnshire Hotel, and Ted Palmer Real Estate. The six story Romanesque Provident building had many tenants including the Federal Finance Co. Streetlights and automobiles line Pacific Ave. Prominent billboards on the top of the buildings advertise Seagram's and Union Oil's minute man service.
|3 of 25:|
Series: D44603 Image#: 1 Date: 08-23-1949
The exterior of Bill and Ted's Cafe for the liquor board, Mr. Pickering. The tavern stands on the corner of Puyallup Avenue and D Street East. The neon sign is set at an angle to be seen along both streets. "No Minors Allowed" is painted in the window. There are two more stories above the tavern and they appear to be apartments. A fire hydrant and light post can be seen on the left. TPL-6533
|4 of 25:|
Series: D42040 Image#: 6 Date: 04-21-1949
View of two houses in Tacoma, the houses are built in the Vernacular-Popular style with features which include: two stories, gable roof, minimal detailing and exterior material is horizontal wood clapboard; both houses have three doric style columns in the front, leading to the main entrance. Photo ordered by Fred L. Wilvers, co-owner of Western Builders roofing company.
|5 of 25:|
Series: D41914 Image#: 6 Date: 04-20-1949
This is an April of 1949 view of the Ruston Town Hall at night. Winnifred Street is well-lit by modern street lamps believed to have been purchased from the General Electric Supply Corp. of Tacoma. Photograph ordered by General Electric Supply Corp. (Additional identification provided by a reader)
|6 of 25:|
Series: D41914 Image#: 2 Date: 04-20-1949
The modern street lighting in this Ruston neighborhood in 1949 was believed to have been supplied by the General Electric Supply Corp. who had established warehouse and shipping offices in Tacoma in 1945. The Dutch Colonial with dark roof at left center in this photograph has been identified as 5116 N. Winnifred St., the former residence of James P. Garrison who had served as Ruston's mayor in the late 1890's. It was built circa 1890 and moved to this site between 1930-1945. Photograph ordered by General Electric Supply Corp. (Additional identification provided by a reader)
|7 of 25:|
Series: D38285 Image#: 7 Date: 02-10-1949
"Girl Alone", woman fearful of being alone on city streets at night, Times, Earl Floathe. A woman stands alone on a snowy evening near the streetlight on I Street South. Women were shown ways to protect themselves when out alone at night. "Stay in lighted area while waiting for a bus or friend" was advised. (T.Times, 2/20/1949, p.30)
|8 of 25:|
Series: D22528 Image#: 2 Date: 06-10-1946
Electrical Products Consolidated manufactured signs. They also manufactured street lights in the downtown Tacoma area. View of Mobilgas sign above the Washington Building, Pacific Avenue and street lights can be seen on right side.
|9 of 25:|
Series: D22283 Image#: 4 Date: 05-20-1946
Hansen & Rowland was an insurance company operated by H. Thorwald Hansen and Irvin C. Rowland. View of Linrothe Garage, Labor Temple, Columbus Hotel, Union Hotel and Food Sales Co. looking southward between 13th and 15th streets on Market Street. Photo ordered by Hansen-Rowland for accident location.
|10 of 25:|
Series: D18933 Image#: 1 Date: 02-16-1945
Electrical Products Consolidated street lighting. The increase in street lighting was a hot topic in Tacoma in the 1940's. They were in the process of updating and adding modern street fixtures, but also wanting to retain the beauty of the old style lamps. View of St. Helens Avenue, Market Street and South 7th Street intersection. Tacoma News Tribune is on left side and J.T.'s Tavern on right. Street lamps align both sides of streets.
|11 of 25:|
Series: D164779 Image#: 1 Date:
Undated photograph taken at night of a business district, probably located in Centralia. Several taverns, a Bonanza 88 store, and a pharmacy dot the two-lane street. The area is brightly lit with freestanding light poles. Photograph ordered by General Electric.
|12 of 25:|
Series: D142212 Image#: 2 Date: 07-00-1964
In July of 1964, awnings extended from the buildings on the 3800 block of Sixth Avenue near Proctor; providing shade and protection from the elements for customers frequenting the variety of businesses along the 125 foot stretch of property. Built in 1926 by Arthur Locke, the brick businesses consisted of Johnson Bakery, Petite Beauty Salon, Pearl's Nook restaurant, Stop-Lite Tavern and the 5 & 10 cent Value Stores. A modern street lamp towers over the one-story businesses. Photograph ordered by Arthur Locke.
|13 of 25:|
Series: D13555 Image#: 1 Date: 10-20-1942
Harry Neilson, with the Street Light Division of the Tacoma Light Department, is putting a cardboard disc inside the top of one of the city's lighting fixtures. In October of 1942, Tacoma was attempting to cut down on the sky glow over Tacoma to meet the army's new dim-out rules. Ornamental street lights in large cities were one of the biggest obstacles to successful dim-outs during WWII. (T. Times 10-20-1942 p.1)
|14 of 25:|
Series: CYS Image#: T380 Date: ca. 1979
Unidentified street light, circa 1979.
|15 of 25:|
Series: CYS Image#: T138 Date: ca. 1979
Old street light standard and unidentified building with a broken window, circa 1979.
|16 of 25:|
Series: BOLAND Image#: B5341 Date: 02-15-1922
This is South "J" Street near 8th St. looking north as viewed on a wet February day in 1922. Trees in the foreground are bare and the roadway is void of traffic. Decorative street lamps are spaced evenly down the block. G60.1-061
|17 of 25:|
Series: BOLAND Image#: B18460 Date: 04-30-1928
This is how North Lawrence St. near 9th appeared on April 30, 1928. This part of town did have street lamps, at least on the corners, and sidewalks. See Boland B18458 for a more distant view of North Lawrence. Photographs were taken due to an automobile accident in the area. G60.1-107
|18 of 25:|
Series: BOLAND Image#: B14171 Date: 02-08-1926
The intersection of North Prospect at North 15th, looking east, was photographed for court evidence on February 8, 1926. The streets were paved and homes on both sides appear large and well maintained. House on the right corner is 1501 North Prospect; house on the left corner is 1502 North Prospect. Sidewalks and curbs were installed which was not a feature in all neighborhoods. Ornamental street lamps were spaced evenly along both sides of the street. The "90 ft" noted in the photograph's lower left corner is believed to be the distance to the intersection from the camera's viewpoint. G58.1-061 (photograph has been damaged)
|19 of 25:|
Series: BOLAND Image#: B14169 Date: 02-08-1926
The street at center is North 15th St., looking north from Prospect, on February 8, 1926. This street had ornamental street lamps, neatly trimmed parking strips and yards, curbs and sidewalks. Utility poles were placed so that wires would not impact view of the street. At center right is 1429 North Fife. The other home in the immediate background is 1430 North Prospect. The "60 ft" noted in the left lower corner of the photograph may have been the distance to the intersection. Photograph taken for court evidence. G57.2-013
|20 of 25:|
Series: A8535 Image#: 2 Date: ca. 1939
Street scene of South Tacoma Way just south of Business District taken at night and lighted only by street and billboard lights. This is the same scene as A8535 image 1, only taken in the dark for Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Photograph shows a man crossing the street and a lighted billboard. .