Tacoma Public Library
Tacoma Public Library
Web site   Library catalog
Library Databases Calendar
View My Account Library Catalog
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Image Archives
New Search | Search Request = [subjects contains Grocery stores Tacoma 1950-1960] | Edit this search
More pages of thumbnail results 1 2 3 next>
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 55 hits
New Search | Search Request = [subjects contains Grocery stores Tacoma 1950-1960] | Edit this search
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 55 hits
D92803-4
Date: 08-27-19551 of 55:
More detail
Series: D92803   Image#: 4   Date: 08-27-1955
Four men in white shirts and ties stand in front of Piggly Wiggly store #3 on a windy day. They are, left to right, Chester A. (Chic) Hogan, owner and operator of the Piggly Wiggly stores; Frank Wrolson, meat supervisor and meat department manager; Ellis Whitman, grocery supervisor for the chain; and Cecil Hulse, store manager. The friendly porker logo looks down from the neon sign, while the printing states strongly "free parking ONLY while shopping in Piggly Wiggly." The beautiful new 11, 000 square foot Piggly Wiggly will begin its Grand Opening on 8/31/55. The former Franklin Food Store at this location has been remodeled into a modern supermarket with self service meats, grocery staples, housewares, drug sundries and a Van de Kamps self service bakery. It is the 2nd Piggly Wiggly in Tacoma. The Grand Opening will be celebrated with give aways of free Davy Crockett caps and orchids, plus prizes. The Piggly Wiggly Supermarket chain is located in 38 states plus Alaska and Hawaii. Its vast purchasing power makes lower prices possible. The fifties trend to "super" markets signalled the death of mom and pop groceries, butchers and bakeries. (TNT 8/30,1955, pg. 7-9) TPL-9166
D80080-3
Date: 01-04-19542 of 55:
More detail
Series: D80080   Image#: 3   Date: 01-04-1954
No. Stevens, looking north at the intersection of No. 26th St. On the right is the Hilltop Market at 2517 No. Stevens. On the left is Pop's Service Station at 2601 No. Stevens. Safeway stores ordered these pictures. The City Council would be hearing their application to erect a store at 26th and Stevens on January 4, 1954. The application had been turned down by the City Planning Commission. The hearing was viewed by an overflowing crowd. The main argument against rezoning this area for the erection of a $525,000 Safeway store was the resulting increased traffic. Residents felt that increasing the already heavy flow of traffic would endanger neighborhood children. Safeway argued that traffic was already bad & their off street parking would make the situation better. The supermarket chain also felt that the Planning Commission was protecting the smaller businesses. (TNT 1/5/1954, pg.1) TPL-9908
D76323-5
Date: 07-07-19533 of 55:
More detail
Series: D76323   Image#: 5   Date: 07-07-1953
Safeway store fire at 82nd & Pacific. Fire broke out at approximately 4:45 a.m. on 7/7/1953 at the Safeway store. Station 10 was the first to respond. Before the fire was under control, Fire Chief Harold Fisk was personally directing the fire fighting force of 6 engine companies, the city rescue unit and 2 hook & ladder companies. The fire fight was aided by daylight conditions and the low number of sightseers at this early hour, but hampered by low water pressure in Fern Hill district fire hydrants. (TNT 7/7/1953, pg. 1)
D76323-4
Date: 07-07-19534 of 55:
More detail
Series: D76323   Image#: 4   Date: 07-07-1953
At approximately 4:45 a.m. on July 7, 1953, the worst fire in Tacoma in more than four years swept through the Safeway Grocery Company store at 208 South 82nd Street. More than six engine companies reported to the "2-11" class fire. The store sustained over $260,000 in damage: $112,000 for the ruined brick, wood and concrete structure, $83,000 in equipment and $65,000 in ruined food. Fire Chief Harold Fisk said that the firemen were hampered by unexpected low water pressure in the Fern Hill district fire hydrants from which hose lines were run. (TNT 7/7/1953, pg. 1) SSPA - 07-JUL-2011
D76323-10
Date: 07-07-19535 of 55:
More detail
Series: D76323   Image#: 10   Date: 07-07-1953
Safeway store fire at 82nd & Pacific. The Safeway store sustained $260,000 in fire damage during an early morning fire on 7/7/1953. The Pacific Ave. wall of the store caved in completely. One firefighter collapsed at the site, and went to the hospital where he was reported in "satisfactory" condition. The fire was initially attributed to a faulty public address system or a forgotten cigarette. In a strange turn of events, the fire equipment had been there twelve hours before responding to an incinerator blaze. (TNT 7/7/1953, pg. 1)
D74876-18
Date: 05-00-19536 of 55:
More detail
Series: D74876   Image#: 18   Date: 05-00-1953
The spacious parking lot is full and more cars seem to be headed toward the grand opening, in early May, 1953, of the newest Tradewell supermarket located at Sixth Avenue & Union. Flags flap briskly in the spring air as shoppers stroll by. The store was built basically in the same style as other Tradewell's; it was a one-story, made of Roman brick, and sported large attractive windows. A Van de Kamps bakery was included in the supermarket. This was store #30; the supermarket would later be destroyed by fire in September, 1963. Photograph ordered by Carl Swanson, Tradewell Stores, Inc.
D67350-4
Date: 06-17-19527 of 55:
More detail
Series: D67350   Image#: 4   Date: 06-17-1952
Exterior exposure of H.A. Briggs store, located at 2802 6th Ave., for Associated Grocers. Hosea A. Briggs was the president of H.A. Briggs Stores, Inc. He was married to Ruth and resided at 523 Alta Vista Place in Fircrest. H.A. Briggs was also a building contractor and a member of Tacoma Master Builders. The windows of the store advertise summer produce- strawberries $.25 a box, cucumbers $.10 each, bananas 2 lbs for $.25, fresh bread and meats- ground $.49 lb., round $.79 lb, veal $.59-.63 lb. and pork loin $.55 lb. Outside the store are cases of Kerr canning jars, crates of watermelons and stands of seeds.
D67350-3
Date: 06-17-19528 of 55:
More detail
Series: D67350   Image#: 3   Date: 06-17-1952
Exterior exposure of H.A. Briggs store, located at 38th & Center in the Oakland building, for Associated Grocers. Hosea A. Briggs was the president of H.A. Briggs Stores, Inc. He was married to Ruth and resided at 523 Alta Vista Place in Fircrest. H.A. Briggs was also a building contractor and a member of Tacoma Master Builders. The windows of the grocery market advertise fresh bread and dairy. Stands holding Mandeville and Northrup King seeds are outside.
D59157-1
Date: 05-18-19519 of 55:
More detail
Series: D59157   Image#: 1   Date: 05-18-1951
Dairy cases at Big Bear Store. Medosweet Dairy has been spelled out in neon around the clock above the case and Blue Bonnet Margarine has a large sign above stacks of their margarine. A sign suggests, "Entertain the California Way, with Wine and Cheese". Dairy Gold Butter and Velveeta Cheese have large displays. Hunks of cheese and milk in cartons are also included. Ordered by Paramount Products, Seattle.
D58158-1
Date: 05-01-195110 of 55:
More detail
Series: D58158   Image#: 1   Date: 05-01-1951
Felkins Fine Foods (A.G. Felkins No. 13) is located in a two story building built using concrete blocks. Posters in the front window offer rhubarb 2 pounds for 15 cents, butter for 69 cents per pound, and oranges 8 cents per pound. Ordered by the Holroyd Company.
D49793-2
Date: 05-09-195011 of 55:
More detail
Series: D49793   Image#: 2   Date: 05-09-1950
Five members of the Midland Orthopedic Guild are shopping at the Big Bear Store for a smorgasbord dinner held as a fund raiser for the building fund for the Tacoma Children's Hospital . Their shopping cart is already full with salamis, fig newtons, chocolate covered cookies and a small turkey with its feet still on. They are still selecting vegetables and canned goods for their preparations. They are, L-R, Mrs. Albert Asplund, Mrs. Elmer Brott, Mrs. Frank Johnson, Mrs. Henry Bjorklund, and Mrs. George Lind. (TNT, 5/18/1950, p.C-12)
D49452-1
Date: 04-19-195012 of 55:
More detail
Series: D49452   Image#: 1   Date: 04-19-1950
"Before" photograph of the building at 6401 Pacific Avenue, Ordered by Linwood Sales Company. The building was used at Reeve's Grocery & Market at this time. Later it became the H.C. Filbert Grocery.
D47942-5
Date: 02-27-195013 of 55:
More detail
Series: D47942   Image#: 5   Date: 02-27-1950
Picture of three men at Cole's Supermarket, 5512 Pacific Ave., taken for advertising copy for grand opening ads. The store featured all new self service and Pictsweet frozen foods. The supermarket was open weekdays 9am-9pm and Sundays from 10am-9pm. New refrigerator cases were installed by Paul's Refrigeration. (TNT 3/3/1950 pg. 12)
D47822-3
Date: 02-13-195014 of 55:
More detail
Series: D47822   Image#: 3   Date: 02-13-1950
1,200 pound anniversary cake, Big Bear Store, Mr. Taylor. The Big Bear Stores were celebrating the second anniversary of their Tacoma store. The store at this location was opened January 1948. This enormous five-layer cake is shown in front of a display of Biskit Mix and Fisher's enriched flour. A banner hanging over the flour display says the cake was made with Fisher's Blend Flour, Medosweet milk, and C & H Pure Cane Sugar.
D47822-2
Date: 02-13-195015 of 55:
More detail
Series: D47822   Image#: 2   Date: 02-13-1950
The Big Bear Stores were celebrating the second anniversary of their Tacoma store with a 1,200 pound anniversary cake. TPL 6594
A93692-2
Date: 10-05-195516 of 55:
More detail
Series: A93692   Image#: 2   Date: 10-05-1955
Interior of Groff's Natural Foods. Groff's, in downtown Tacoma, stressed the importance of eating right, using "natural" foods and vitamins to keep a person healthy. Whole grain flour and cereals, a selection of salt-free foods, Vitamin A-packed carrot juice, 100% pure honey, and even mineralized cookies were offered to discerning customers. Jugs of papaya juice, surely not a standard on the 1950's breakfast tables, were also available for purchase. Groff's was to celebrate its grand reopening on October 28, 1955. The store had been in the same location in the Crystal Palace Shopping Center at 11th & Market Sts. for the past fifteen years. Owner Virgil Groff claimed his store had the largest supply of vitamins in Tacoma. Photograph ordered by Groff's Natural Foods. (TNT 10-27-55, A-8)
A88494-4
Date: 02-16-195517 of 55:
More detail
Series: A88494   Image#: 4   Date: 02-16-1955
Views of the Tradewell Super Market and its parking lot on 6th Ave., ordered by Carroll Mortgage Co. Leslie A. Gray was manager. Van De Kamps Bakery is pictured prominently on the Tradewell pylon. Signs in the windows advertise avocados, oil, MD Tissue, turkey and lowered coffee prices. The suburban grocery store offered plenty of free parking for its mobile clientele. TPL-8315
A88494-1
Date: 02-16-195518 of 55:
More detail
Series: A88494   Image#: 1   Date: 02-16-1955
Views of the Tradewell Super Market and its parking lot on 6th Ave., ordered by Carroll Mortgage Co. Leslie A. Gray was manager. The supermarket offered its customers plenty of free parking at this busy location. The stores trademark pylon with the Tradewell name can be seen at the front of the the store.
A78224-2
Date: 10-05-195319 of 55:
More detail
Series: A78224   Image#: 2   Date: 10-05-1953
Sib's Thriftway. The 52nd Thriftway store to open in Washington and Oregon was on No. 26th & Pearl in the Westgate addition. Sib Carstensen was the operator. The store was one of the largest supermarkets in the Northwest. The market sold food, magazines, comic books, housewares, greeting cards and some drugs. It featured a 1,000 car parking lot with 10 feet available between parked cars. The store was the crown jewel of the Westgate Suburban Shopping Center. When all of the stores in the center were complete, they would represent an investment of over one million dollars. The market opened with a three day Grand Opening, with free orchids, coffee & cookies and rides on the merry-go-round ponies for the kiddies. (TNT 9/2/1953, pg. C-1)
A77954-3
Date: 09-15-195320 of 55:
More detail
Series: A77954   Image#: 3   Date: 09-15-1953
Cash registers and check out stands at Sib's Thriftway. The new market had eight check out stands with conveyor belts to speed checking. Little push carts were provided for children to shop with Mommy and small tables and chairs were available for children to sit and color. The interior decorating colors were yellow, green and brown and soft background music played. The window glass was frosted and the store had fluorescent lighting and air conditioning. The store had some of the first automatic opening doors in use. (TNT 9/2/1953, pg. C-1)
New Search | Search Request = [subjects contains Grocery stores Tacoma 1950-1960] | Edit this search
More pages of thumbnail results 1 2 3 next>
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 55 hits
New Search | Search Request = [subjects contains Grocery stores Tacoma 1950-1960] | Edit this search
Displaying thumbnails 1 to 20 of 55 hits
Horizantal Line
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.591.5666xxx
Tacoma Public Library - 1102 Tacoma Ave. South - Tacoma, Washington 98402 - 253.292.2001
Contact Us Site Map Privacy Policy Copyright Policy