|1 of 79:|
Series: TPL Image#: 5179 Date:
Future Tacoma Mayor "Big John" Anderson (seated) sells tickets for a group excursion. Buyers look at Northern Pacific Railroad timetables. This undated photograph was possibly taken in the late 1930's or early 1940's. ALBUM 14.
|2 of 79:|
Series: TPL Image#: 5178 Date:
Future Tacoma Mayor "Big John" Anderson (right) shows off his watch to Dewey Busch. Mr. Busch was a past post commander of the V.F.W. Post 2329. This undated photograph was possibly taken in the early 1940's. ALBUM 14.
|3 of 79:|
Series: G51.1 Image#: 026 Date: 04-12-1961
On April 12, 1961, former mayor "Big John" Anderson, Mayor Ben Hanson, and Chamber of Commerce president Herbert F. Syford examined the 36' totem pole which had been carved and painted as a gift to the City of Kokura, Japan, from its sister city, Tacoma. The totem pole was on display at the Narrows fire station on Sixth Avenue. The cedar log was donated by Cascade Pole Co. and hauled to the 9th & A fire station headquarters where it was carved and painted by Stadium High School English teacher, Bud Cairns. Only the lower part of the totem pole is seen in the above photograph; characters representing Tacoma's seaport and lumber industries, forest products, commercial fishing, boating, water sports, and rich agriculture in addition to a sketch of the Narrows Bridge, were all found on the totem. "Big John" Anderson led a tour group to Japan in June, 1961, where he expected to present the totem pole, however, due to shipping difficulties, the totem did not actually arrive in Kokura until August. The U.S. Marines came to the rescue by delivering the approximately 2,500 pound totem in a R4Q "Flying Box Car" to Kokura. (TNT 9-24-61, TNT 4-16-61, TNT 3-5-61)
|4 of 79:|
Series: D99640 Image#: 4 Date: 06-07-1956
Mayor John Anderson (left) accepts from an unidentified representative of Pacific Telephone & Telegraph the original artwork for the cover of the 1956 Tacoma telephone directory. Illustrated are familiar local sights including Mt. Rainier, downtown Tacoma, ships at dockside and even two fishermen trying their luck. The actual directory cover would be somewhat modified as seen in D99640, image 2. ALBUM 14.
|5 of 79:|
Series: D99640 Image#: 3 Date: 06-07-1956
On June 7, 1956, the original artwork of the 1956 Tacoma telephone directory was presented to the City of Tacoma by an unidentified representative of Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Co. Mayor John Anderson (left) graciously accepted the framed gift. ALBUM 14.
|6 of 79:|
Series: D99640 Image#: 2 Date: 06-07-1956
Tacoma Mayor "Big John" Anderson (right) and an unidentified representative of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company admire the cover of the 1956 Tacoma Telephone Directory while standing below the original artwork. In the actual cover, the fisherman reels in a lucky catch. The Tacoma telephone directory in 1956 came out with a mid-year print date. ALBUM 14.
|7 of 79:|
Series: D99640 Image#: 1 Date: 06-07-1956
Tacoma Mayor "Big John" Anderson being presented on June 7, 1956, with the original artwork for the cover of the 1956 Tacoma Telephone Directory by a representative of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company. ALBUM 14.
|8 of 79:|
Series: D83368 Image#: 31 Date: 06-09-1954
Television host and columnist Ed Sullivan signs autographs for delighted youngsters at the Ray Ridge Lincoln-Mercury on Tacoma Avenue during a personal appearance on June 9, 1954. Framed Norman Rockwell print of Henry, Edsel and Henry Ford II, issued for the Ford Golden Anniversary in 1953, on wall. Dealership owner Ray Ridge and former Tacoma mayor John Anderson look on with smiles. Mr. Sullivan, host of a popular variety show, was in Tacoma for the laying of the cornerstone of Mary Bridge Children's Hospital. Elvis Presley and the Beatles would make their television debuts on his program. ALBUM 7.
|9 of 79:|
Series: D8121 Image#: 3 Date: 04-10-1939
Ex-mayor M. G. Tennent, Tacoma's hole-in-one champ, the "King of Aces," watches the result of his swing at the indoor driving range at Allenmore Golf Course. Since taking up golf, Mr. Tennent has made eight hole-in-ones. But despite 100 tries at this hole, he has only come close. The winner will receive a new 1939 Buick. Unbeknownst at the time, John Anderson, watching in background while he puffs on a cigar, will become future Tacoma mayor. (T. Times, 4/14/39, p. 14).
|10 of 79:|
Series: D8121 Image#: 1 Date: 04-10-1939
Allenmore Golf Course "Hole-In-One" contest for new 1939 Buick. Hole-in-one ace, ex-mayor M. G. Tennent, tries his 100th drive to win the contest and misses. Since taking up the game of golf, Tennent has shot eight dodos. In back of and to the right of Tennent is future Mayor John H. Anderson. (T. Times, 4/14/1939, p. 14)
|11 of 79:|
Series: D74577 Image#: 1 Date: 04-00-1953
Mayor John H. Anderson holds his monetary donation as he intently watches a demonstration of a resuscitation machine in April, 1953. A breathing device appears to be ready to be placed on the face of a "victim" who has his head elevated. A sign propped up against the resuscitation case indicates that people could help in saving lives with a donation to the Odd Fellows; donations apparently to be used in the purchase of the equipment. Publicity photo for Odd Fellows - Rebekah. ALBUM 14.
|12 of 79:|
Series: D73978 Image#: 2 Date: 03-26-1953
Mayor John H. Anderson meets with Elder Osgood of the Seventh Day Adventists and several others for a publicity picture on March 26, 1953. There are several large white cans marked "SDA Disaster Kit", holding emergency supplies for household use in case of disaster, while Mayor Anderson displays an American Red Cross medical kit. DeWitt Osgood is the pastor of the Central Seventh Day Adventist Church. His and other Seventh Day Adventist churches worked together to assemble these emergency kits; bandages, antiseptics, splints, dressings, and water purification tablets were some of the supplies contained in each kit. (TNT 3-22-53, A-15)
|13 of 79:|
Series: D70296 Image#: 7 Date: 11-02-1952
Dedication of new Main Library. Tacoma Mayor John Anderson addresses an overflowing crowd of more than 4,000 at the grand opening of the new addition to the Tacoma Public Library. The library opened its doors on Sunday, November 2, 1952, for two hours so that visitors might be able to tour the various departments, all of which would be open and staffed. It had overgrown the old library building (now called the Carnegie Building) and the new $1,250,000 structure would provide more space for employees and room for more books. Several other dignitaries would be present for the dedication including principal speaker University of Washington president Dr. Henry Schmitz, College of Puget Sound president R. Franklin Thompson, Temple Beth Israel Rabbi Bernard D. Rosenberg, architect of the project Silas E. Nelsen, and Library Board president Thomas J. Porro. (TNT 11-2-52, A-1 article; TNT 11-3-52, A-1 article)
|14 of 79:|
Series: D70296 Image#: 1 Date: 11-02-1952
Dedication of the new Main Library. The Tacoma Public Library had rare Sunday hours on November 2, 1952, as the new addition to the Main Library was officially dedicated. More than 4,000 visitors were crammed in the new structure to view ceremonies and later tour the building. Architect Silas E. Nelsen (seated, second from left) presented the building to the city and Mayor John Anderson (seated center, third from left) in turn gave the keys to the building to Tacoma Public Library Board President Thomas J. Porro (seated, extreme right). Dr. Henry Schmitz, president of the University of Washington, was the principal speaker. He is seated next to Mayor Anderson. Rabbi Bernard D. Rosenberg (far right, second row) of Temple Beth Israel gave the invocation while Dr. R. Franklin Thompson, president of the College of Puget Sound, gave the benediction. Dr. Thompson is standing next to Rabbi Rosenberg. Also pictured above was Library director Howard M. Rowe (standing, extreme left.) (TNT 11-2-52, A-1-article; TNT 11-3-52, A-1-article)
|15 of 79:|
Series: D69556 Image#: 15 Date: 09-26-1952
Several men entertained thousands during the semi-annual benefit for the Tacoma Orthopedic and Day Nursery organizations with an 1952 election year spoof. The stage was decorated as a giant television set. Hollis Day, alias "Stevenson" is on the soapbox, while Din Fuhrmeister, alias "Eisenhower" (far left) awaits his turn. Both sang rousing campaign songs. Mayor John H. Anderson is at far right in photo as a reporter with fellow "Meet the Press" cohorts Len Higgins, Virg Langdon, Norm Runions and Webster Judd. (TNT9-28-52, D-3-article) ALBUM 14.
|16 of 79:|
Series: D67659 Image#: 18 Date: 07-19-1952
Tacoma Boat Building, the launching of the A.M.S. #113 (motor mine sweeper.) Group of 21 at banquet table on July 19, 1952, including Naval officers. Mayor John Anderson is at the left of the seated row, Governor Arthur B. Langlie fifth from left, owner Arne Strom in the center of the same row with Evelyn Langlie to his right and co-owner Haldor Dahl is third from left in the standing row. The worst fire of 1951 totally destroyed the Tacoma Boat Building plant with the co-owners Strom and Dahl holding contracts for the building of Navy minesweepers. A new plant was quickly built on the strip of land separating the Milwaukee and Sitcum Waterways and production of the sweepers began. (T. Reporter 7/22/1952, pg. 2)
|17 of 79:|
Series: D61738 Image#: 1 Date: 10-25-1951
Mayor John Anderson (at the right) set out in October of 1951 on a round-the-world trip. The mayor and Ted Zimmerman, Pay Less drugstore owner and Chamber of Commerce representative, went on a two month tour that included both trade and personal travel. Although Mayor Anderson, Ted Zimmerman, and a Western Airlines stewardess are looking at a Las Vegas information flyer, Las Vegas was not listed as being on the itinerary. Official stops included Japan and various cities in Europe. Taxpayers did not have to pay for the mayor's trip; with the exception of a stop in Washington D.C. for a conference, all expenses were paid by the mayor. The Tacoma Chamber of Commerce paid part of the Japanese expenses since they were trade related. (TNT 10-25-51, B-2)
|18 of 79:|
Series: D61264 Image#: 2 Date: 03-13-1952
Tacoma Mayor "Big John" Anderson with two members of the Pierce County Association of Catholic War Veterans at the Mayor's Office in (Old) City Hall. On March 13, 1952, Mayor Anderson received the "Cross of Peace" from Lew Turner (L), state commander of the Catholic War Veterans organization and Peter J. Schmalz, commander of the Pierce County chapter of the C.W.V. ALBUM 14. (TNT 3-14-52, A-6)
|19 of 79:|
Series: D60972 Image#: 3 Date: 09-10-1951
Passport portrait of Mayor John Anderson. Mayor Anderson was in his first term as Tacoma's mayor at the time of this September, 1951, photograph. "Big John" Anderson was a prominent businessman, civic leader and sportsman. He later would become a vital part of the Tacoma School Board, serving as its president three times. Ordered by Mrs. Evans, Mayor's office.
|20 of 79:|
Series: D60504 Image#: 0 Date: 02-02-1951
Alden Woodworth (center) was photographed handing a Quit Claim Deed to Tacoma Mayor John H. Anderson in early February of 1951, at a meeting of the Young Men's Business Club held at the Winthrop Hotel. The deed was for the land at the east approach of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge where a memorial to Tacoma's war dead was planned. It was a project worked on by the Y.M.B.C. for many years. Also seated next to Mr. Woodworth is Bremerton mayor L. Hum Kean. Standing, from left to right: Mayor of Gig Harbor, Harold H. Ryan; Kitsap County Commissioner Verd Nichols; Y.M.B.C. memorial committee chairman Arthur Paulsen; Mrs. Ruth E. Peeler of the State Parks commission; Jack Roberts of the Public Works commission and Y.M.B.C. president Peter Pelegruti. ALBUM 14 (TNT 2-4-51, A-6)